The biggest mistake I see small businesses and soloprenuers make is using there personal or any other email address besides their website's domain email. This is against email marketing. They are loosing the chance to build brand identity. This is like getting on a city bus with the driver using his personal minivan. You really look second rate.
This sounds absurd, but this is how ridiculous you are seen by any one with any technical savvy. The funny part about this is the offender generally does not see any problem with this. More over, often times they are slightly offended that you mention the issue.
How Using a Business Email Helps
- Trust - The simple use of an email address that matches the domain immediately shows connection to the domain, but most importantly builds immediate trust.
- Professionalism - It is quite unproffessional and lazy to use firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. These are designed for personal use only. These are ok for civic organizations and PTA, but not for a for-profit or serious none profit organization.
- Branding - It brands the email as a part of the organization, and vice versa. This is magnified with a well crafted signature file.
Your Own EMail Signature
Create you own signature. Make certain everyone in your organization has the same standard information in it. If you are a creative org, goes crazy. However, if you are technical, perhaps it it good to tone it down. The only directive, other than the standard info, make it individual to each person.
EMail Signature Management
Here is a generic list of the must haves for your email signatures:
- email (in the event they print and it is not written anywhere else)
- office hours in your time zone (if you customers are not in same time zone)
- company logo
- social media
- small images (either you or what you do)
- call to action (optional)
Please develop your own brand guidelines.
EMail Branding and Marketing
If your bottom line depends strictly on email marketing, it is critical that you use your signature and the entire email to help your brand. I have said it before, but it is worth saying again. Do not use @gmail.com, @hotmail.com or anything like this. It should be your organizations domain name, if you want to be taken serious and full press your email marketing. This must be included as a part of your marketing strategy. If you are concerned and need help, you can go to Fiverr and get a professional email signature done for you.
You want to be certain be aware of brand personality and more importantly brand consistency. Often I see tone and actual tag lines change in different emails. Email marketing is something you total control of, use it.
We have a solution for this
With Infestus Consulting we leverage your web hosting provider or we lean into Google Workspace. With your web service provider you will need someone to manage this, else we can do so. Know that the manager will have to enter each of the email accounts password.
With Google Workspace, individuals are able to log in and change their own email password. We think it is the best way to go.
Don't miss this opportunity to start your own email branding.